Week 6 - Finalising concept and Narrative

Atlantis


Atlantis Atlantis (Ancient Greek: Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος, "island of Atlas")

What was once a proud civilization was eventually engulfed by the infamous Bermuda Triangle, It's been suggested that from time to time a rift in space-time opens up in the Bermuda Triangle and anything in the area at this time is unlucky enough to get lost in it and transferred to a parallel universe.

Atlantis found itself Stuck between a vortex of what they call heaven and earth and thrives off purified water that plummets through another parallel dimension, while keeping their ancient traditions and power source intact through the power of crystals, they are said to be in a continuous loop, and studied by extraterrestrial life forces.





Final





Rationale



When I decided to choose “What happened to Atlantis” as my topic of focus, I imagined an illustration which involved blue and green tones with an abundance of water. After researching how other artist imagined this once proud civilization, I started by sketching up compositions of where I wanted this ancient civilization to be and the reason behind its disappearance. 

I found myself sketching floating rock structures, surrounded by clouds. I then took my vision to Photoshop and outlined the shape of my islands and by using a clipping mask filled it in with rock like textures and used brushes to create my clouds. As my story behind this mysterious place unfolded. Using photos of buildings that I took in Japan over the break I photo-shopped them in, to suggest they were well ahead of their time.

I researched that it’s been suggested that from time to time a rift in space-time opens up in the Bermuda Triangle and anything in the area at this time is unlucky enough to get lost in it and transferred to a parallel universe. I created triangles filled with a gradient and inner/outer glow effect to create my “Bermuda Triangle” and placed them above and below to represent a sort of vortex of what the Atlanteans call heaven and earth and thrives off purified water that plummets through another parallel dimension.

While keeping their ancient traditions and power source intact through the power of crystals, which I drew in illustrator and took to Photoshop to give them a glowing/glassy effect. To give it consistent effect I over-layed it with a rough texture and used multiply and tweaked the opacity to give it a vintage yet mystical feel.


Comments

Popular Posts